Friday, October 7, 2011

Week 19 by Becky

Together We Can Make A Difference

This is a special month that I want to make a special tribute to someone who is very special to my heart. I lost my best friend, my mother, August 3, 2011 to breast cancer. She fought this horrible disease since June 17, 1996, when it was first diagnosed. She was a wonderful wife, mother of four, grandmother of four, courageous and a fighter to the very end. I miss her so very much. I wanted something simple, but with a lot of emotion. I have this breast cancer bracelet I wear that I figured would be perfect. My hand models are my daughter and my son. There is another heart shaped charm on the bracelet on the other side of my daughter's hand that has the following words stamped on it "Together We Can Make A Difference". With my two kids holding hands to signify togetherness, the photo came together. It was my daughter's idea to make everything B/W except for the bracelet. I am glad I went with her idea because it gave me the simplicity I was going for and yet at the same time a lot of emotion in such a simple shot. I used ambient light and a black velvet background.

UPDATE 10/17/2011: Received 5th place (out of 106 entries) on www.dpchallenge.com in the PINK challenge.
UPDATE 10/31/2011: Selected as photo of the week on www.jpgmag.com.

4 comments:

  1. Becky, what a wonderful photo and tribute to your Mom. She was a beautiful lady inside and out. She was definitely a "no wimpy girl"! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touching and beautiful photo with a sad, but loving tribute and story behind it. Having your children's hands in the photo bring the whole thing back to family love. The most powerful force in the universe that cannot and will not ever end. Hugs and love to you, Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This photo touched me so much, that I almost forgot to mention that the photo is technically superb and could sell quite well on a stock website! It has a very contemporary look. Perhaps you could donate a portion of the profits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspirational! I love it! Great job Becky!

    ReplyDelete